Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Can I use Canadian peat moss to stop weeds in flower beds?

I don't want to use mulch because it's more expensive and I don't want to pay for delivery cost either. Canadian peat moss is much cheaper and I can bring it home myself with a car.

Can I use Canadian peat moss to stop weeds in flower beds?
There are at least two significant problems with the use of peat moss as a mulch.





1) It's so fine and light weight that it will likely blow away in any kind of wind.





2) Peat moss, when it drys out, is very difficult to wet-out again. In its dry state, it sheds water. This will make it very difficult for your plant's roots to receive proper watering.
Reply:Below is a link with lots of info about Canadian peat moss and it's many uses. I've always thought of peat moss as a soil additive, so I'm not sure about using it as a mulch.





http://peatmoss.com/pm-me2.php


No comments:

Post a Comment